Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter and the Multiple Sclerosis Muggle

In honor of the releasing of the seventh book in the Harry Potter series, let me take a moment to remind everyone that JK Rowling's mother had multiple sclerosis. From Ms. Rowling's web site, she writes:
The worst thing that happened during my teenage years was my mother becoming ill. She was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which is a disease of the central nervous system, when I was fifteen. Although most people with multiple sclerosis experience periods of remission - when their illness stops progressing for a while, or even improves - Mum was unlucky; from the time of her diagnosis onwards she seemed to become slowly but steadily worse. I think most people believe, deep down, that their mothers are indestructible; it was a terrible shock to hear that she had an incurable illness, but even then, I did not fully realise what the diagnosis might mean.
JK Rowling's mother died 10 years after being diagnosed. JK Rowling is now a major supporter of MS Research, and recently made a substantial donation to the MS Society in Scotland (which has the highest MS rate in the world, I believe). A quote from the University of Edinburgh web site:
A major donation from Harry Potter author JK Rowling will help combat Multiple Sclerosis (MS), a disease which affects one in 500 Scots. Funding for the £2.5m project will largely come from Multiple Sclerosis Society Scotland, which has been gifted a substantial sum from the author for this work.

To all of you fighting MS, I hope that you find the magic in your lives that will help you get through the challenges you face.
To all caregivers and supporters, I thank you for the magic you bring into our lives every day.
Enjoy the weekend! I'll be reading.

1 comment:

  1. Happy reading! It's so wonderful to find something to enjoy!!!

    (forgot to ask if it is OK to add you to my read list on my blog...so, I did it anyway! LOL)

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete