Sunday, October 28, 2007

Looking for Info on Early Retirement due to MS Fatigue

I am looking for stories about MS-ers who have had to stop working due to MS Fatigue. Some call this "early retirement" but are they really drawing any retirement money? If so, how? Who decided that they needed to 'retire,' the patient or the doctor or the family? What are the issues to watch out for?

It may be obvious from my most recent posts that I am considering "early retirement." I have approached a financial advisor and discussed at length with my husband. I even told my boss. And my mother!

But I'm dealing with some surprising emotions - I am feeling guilty for even thinking about stopping work before I'm 67 (gosh I must be horribly lazy). I am scared that something might go very wrong and I will run out of money and be homeless and on the street. And then the self-doubt: am I really suffering with MS fatigue or am I just being a drama queen? I suspect that some readers of this blog recognize these self-criticisms that are all too common with The Fatigue MonSter.

Also, has anyone had success getting disability due to fatigue? Any advice? Anyone live in Delaware that might know something I don't?

Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. My doctors had me quit work before they even had a diagnosis of MS. It was a demylinating disorder and my symptoms were severe. I deww SSD after the 6 month waiting period.
    I was givin a drug for M S fatigue, just this past year, and it has made a huge difference in my life. Provigil (modafinal). Now I only have the MS fatigue break through if I'm in a flare. I can actually go grocery shopping and not have to turn in for a long nap afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on disability 5 years ago. I hated it. I was only 36 years old. with my symptoms so severe it was recommended by my doc because i could no longer do the job I was trained for. When i first applied i was denied and then had to go infront of a judge. I got approved. I have worked part time since then up until this past January when things got bad again. I hate not working because I feel so useless. I have tried to find jobs I can do from home but that's not working. I have been doing some Vietnem veteran donation pick up phone calls but it gets timely and pay isn't the greatest. COvers the groceries for the week.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...great post...maybe because it really hits home for me (and it is all about me. LOL).

    I hear you about the guilt and feeling as if/wondering if the symptoms are all in your head or you are just not trying hard enough. I have personally been struggling to stay employed in a highly stressful and fast-paced job and feel like I'm failing miserably. I also am very fearful of not being able to work as I cannot pay my mortgage on a disability income and there IS no one else to support me (not suggesting there is for you, either, just because you're married!). My neuro has been aggressively treating me to try to keep me "in the game" as long as possible with some success and some set backs.

    I find I am my own worst critic when it comes to analyzing my symptoms and their impact on my life...but it also chaps my arse when other MSER's compare me to THEIR personal plight, too, which seems to be happening more often than I'd like lately. So that said, I can only say if YOUR fatigue is weighing you down, do what you need to do to feel the best possible...and I'll continue to support you from afar in your decisions!

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 40 years old and used to work in a highly competitive , fast paced corporate environment . I went on disability about a year and a half ago. I get 70% of my former salary and i am in the process of bringing in Social Security in the game . I had my former boss full support as well as my doctor. I had no problems with the insurance and i never regretted giving up work ...
    I'd be more than happy to give you any details you might be looking for ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adina - yes I'd like to discuss with you. Sounds like your situation is similar to mine.
    Please send me an e-mail to sojourner143@netzero.net so I can ask you more questions. THANKS
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bubbie - tell me more about Provigil. I had a bad reaction to it, but am now wondering if other factors were at play.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope ... 40 and still plugging along at work. Just can't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon - thanks for sharing that information. It is good to hear all sides of the experience.

    ReplyDelete