Friday, January 18, 2008

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Opportunities to Volunteer for (or against) MS


I’m gonna be a Resource Detective!

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day has evolved into more than just another government holiday. From the MLKDay.gov website:
“Make It a Day ON, Not a Day Off!
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. sought to forge the common ground on which people from all walks of life could join together to address important community issues. On January 21st, 2008, millions of Americans across the country will once again honor his legacy by taking part in a wide range of service projects—conducting food drives, painting schools and community centers, recruiting mentors for needy youth, and bringing meals to homebound neighbors, to name but a few.”
I recently received an e-mail from the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America offering ways to volunteer on MLK day. If you’ve ever needed help getting a cooling vest or other aids, you may already be familiar with these folks.
The MSAA’s mission is “to enrich the quality of life for everyone affected by multiple sclerosis. Our wide array of programs and services bring ongoing support and direct services to people with MS and their families throughout the country.”

The MSAA set up four specific volunteer opportunities for January 21, 2008, and one captured my imagination: Resource Detective
“Resource detectives use their skills and ingenuity to seek out those agencies and organizations that provide resources which can assist the multiple sclerosis community.”
COOL! I get to use my ingenuity! Woo hoo! Finally, a “job” that doesn’t turn my brain to mush. Finally, a “job” that I can do from home and when I’m feeling okay. Finally, a “job” that will ultimately benefit me and people like me with multiple sclerosis. It’s a volunteer job, but this is how I want to spend my limited energy.

I attended the teleconference training this week, and was surprised that there were people from a wide range of states. I got a lot of ideas from the teleconference, but think I'll start my "detectiving" to find local resources for exercise programs for people with multiple sclerosis. I don't know about you, but exercise makes me tired.

Please check out the other volunteer opportunities and think about volunteering on MLK Day (assuming you don't have to work that day).

5 comments:

  1. You constantly keep amazing me, Joanie! You are incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh...I'll be working on MLK Day, but bravo for you in your new line as a DETECTIVE!!!

    **sounding the applause horn now**

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this a bit of what modern librarians might do? They have always been a source of information, no matter how easy or hard the facts were to find! Wait, aren't you going to school for this area? Bingo! You are a natural!
    Love & Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Sounds challanging and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks from those of us who need the help.

    ReplyDelete