Sunday, February 17, 2008

Copy Cat

As you may know, Montel Williams has stepped down from his TV show. According to various sources including my primary source for information, “STU,” he is quitting because his MS has recently started to progress so is opting to retire early, at age 51.

He was diagnosed in 1999 (same year as me). His MS has started to progress (same as me). He decided that he wants to spend quality time with his wife while he is still healthy (same as me!) Well almost same as me: I actually don’t know his wife. BUT I want to be able to spend time with my husband, so that counts.

He decided to ‘retire’ this month at age 51. I decided to ‘retire’ in December at age 48. I'm sure that my story gave him the inspiration to make this very difficult decision, don't you agree???!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

His decision was based on his increasing muscle weakness, but mine was based on increasing fatigue.

I wish him the best and hope that we see more visibility into research and treatments for progressive forms of MS.

7 comments:

  1. Lesson: Don't burn the candle at both ends! He exhausted himself ... spoon deficit spending. of course, retiring at 51 ... not too shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an unwilling member of this club since August 2007, retired at age 54.

    Fatigue is my big hitter too.

    Re: Montel Williams - methinks by the 3rd wife (per newspaper accounts of October 2007), I'd be tired too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He can always get into podcasting. :-)

    I'd welcome him and help him with training and set him (well his people anyway,) on a new world-wide career on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how long does it take for MS to progress?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was diagnosed back in 1999, I had read that it takes about 10 years to "progress"; however, that was before the disease modifying injectables were common. I suspect that the stats have changed a bit. I have had MS for over 20 years, and am just now progressing to secondary progressive. I've been lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's fortunate in that he can afford both retirement and health care.

    ReplyDelete