Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Donated to the Accelerated Cure Project for MS - It was easy!

As I noted in a previous post, I donated tissue (blood) to the Accelerated Cure Project for MS yesterday. Before I went to the collection center (Johns Hopkins in Baltimore), I had completed a very long survey for a lot of epistemological data, meaning health history. There was a page for vaccinations, one for vitamins that I take, one for medications, one for exacerbation history, etc., etc., etc. All the usual, obvious stuff.

But this survey was incredibly thorough, asking where I had lived, what type of work I had done, if I had been breast fed, and even asked for information about my ancestors (back to grandparents), including if they are/were left or right handed. Hmmm…

After spending about an hour going over the survey with an incredibly pleasant project coordinator, I had about 10 vials of blood drawn. That was absolutely painless – the phlebotomist was a true artist! So the donation was a breeze. I recommend it to everyone with MS who lives near one of the collection sites.

4 comments:

  1. The vampires I encounter in my neck of the woods are no artists ... sadists ... every last one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! And sounds very simple. Wow, that stumps me...left or right handed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - it takes a lot to render me speechless, but you've done it to me! I understand your curiousity and the reason for it. And as your sister, the fact that you may never know the real answer, frustrates me. And if I'm frustrated, I can only imagine your level of frustration. You are always in my heart, Joanie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, THANK YOU for being a donor to this project. You didn't have to, but you did, which is truly giving.

    I've considered donating my body to science...if nothing else, just for the laughter from the medical students dissecting my fat arse!

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete