Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Second Life


Yes, I have an avatar (incarnation) in Second Life (SL) named Trillian Weatherwax.

“What’s with that name?” you ask if you are well read in only snooty scholarly tomes. In Second Life, you select your avatar’s name from a list. I selected “Trillian” after a Trillian (Patricia) McMillan from the Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, and “Weatherwax” after Granny Esmerelda Weatherwax, a witch from the the fantasical Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Two of my favorite authors; two of my favorite characters.

“Why are you telling us this?” you ask. Because on March 29th, the UnitedSpinal.org Car Culture Motorability Island opens in Second Life, bringing together car enthusiasts and spinal cord disorder awareness. The Grand Opening on Saturday is geared TO RAISE AWARENESS about spinal cord injury and other disorders and diseases that affect the spinal cord including MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS (see, it is relevant after all), as well as to have fun with cool cars. It has a catchy name, too, “Fashion, Cars and Avatars Event in Second Life to Raise Awareness About Spinal Cord Injury.” There will be a fashion show, dancing, and car racing as well as lectures and information exchanges. [I wonder if my avatar can dance...]

SLURL to Motorability Island: http://slurl.com/secondlife/UnitedSpinal/110/182/28/

If you want more info, here is a link to the United Spinal Association's Motorability page: http://www.unitedspinal.org/motorability/
The United Spinal Association has created a three page pamphlet about spinal cord injury and diseases including ALS, MS, etc., called What is SCI/D? and can be downloaded HERE

There is also a link to a great Parking Pad that you can print and put on someone’s car who is illegally parked in a handicapped spot.

ALSO, check out the Multiple Sclerosis Quarterly Report, published by the United Spinal Association.

There is a GimpGirl community and a lot of other things to explore around disabilities and accessibility, but it is tiring so I don't know much about this virtual world, yet.

Oh, and Trillian looks NOTHING like the real me in Real Life (sigh...).

5 comments:

  1. Second Life, eh? Jeeze, I barely have the time for my 1st one and I'm not even getting that one 100% of the attention it needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second Life is exhausting for me! It is hard to move, I'm confused about where I am, I keep bumping into things, I'm tired after an hour, I can't see well.

    Sound familiar???!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a new place for you, and will be unfamiliar for a while. Soon it will be just another place to meet friends from around the world and where you can create anything from artwork to experiences to fashion - and even learn a new language. Tweaking your settings will help you get better framerates. Draw distance, in particular, is a good place to start.
    I went to the U. of Del :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Osprey! How did you get from U of De to Washington?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete