Friday, March 14, 2008

Space, the Final Frontier (at least in our house...)

(photo credit NASA.gov)
We are destroying our house. The politically correct term is ‘remodeling’ but the reality is that we are destroying it. The refrigerator, oven, washer, and dryer are in the family room. The living room is packed with boxes. The dining room is a rug and paper wasteland. There is nothing in the kitchen but dust and weird smells. There is no place to sit.

As a result, I can’t watch TV. Fortunately, there is a space shuttle connected to the space station right now, and NASA TV is definitely Must See TV. The Japanese experiment module Kibo (“… one giant entrance for Japan”) is being connected to the space station as I write this, and a new robotic arm called Dextre (from Canada) is also being assembled. Instead of watching March Madness, I’m watching floating people work in space speaking multiple languages. How cool is this?

I wonder what it is like to be in zero gravity. Would multiple sclerosis symptoms be lessened? The astronauts work with thick gloves and have trouble with fine motor control. They tend to lose equilibrium and don't know which way is up. Eating and normal bodily functions are challenging.

MS people would feel right at home. Anyone wanna go?

3 comments:

  1. Joan,
    No thanks. Terra firma is good enough for me. I had a dizzying vertigo-ous dream the other night and woke as I was looking down from a height of something similar to the CN Tower in Toronto. Mentioned it to John later as we were watching the news about Dextre. I'd completely lose it in space. And no one would hear me scream...
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrgghh! I guess you'll be staying with me, then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beam me up, Scotty!

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete