Friday, August 22, 2008

Caught One!


Yesterday, I saw a hummingbird zipping around the back deck. We haven't seen hummingbirds for years, so this was thrilling! I immediately dusted off the hummingbird feeder and whipped up a sugar solution (4 parts water to 1 part sugar, boiled for 2 minutes, then cool). I put out the feeder and waited. It wasn't long before two female ruby- throated hummingbirds started fighting over the territory and the new treat.


But it was much longer before I was able to capture a bird with the camera. These birds are FAST! But I caught one using a tripod and the 'blur the backround' feature of my camera. So I'm sharing my prize picture of the week. Enjoy!




10 comments:

  1. that is one spectacular picture! i am so envious. i have a hummingbird feeder and you know who ate the nectar? bees! and very quickly too. i have never seen a hummingbird yet. great photo...you are a quick shooter to catch him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa and Merelyme! I'm not a quick shooter - just a very patient one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one priceless photo. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...I blogging. Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one to enter into a contest!! Awesome!!! You have to be so excited and proud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful shot! There's a man in Nova Scotia who was written up in the paper this summer because of his ability to entice hummingbirds to his hands. They will land on him or his hand and his wife takes the pictures. amazing.

    I haven't seen as many of the things this year as in years past, but I'm usually moving around too much myself. And I even gave the Wookie two hummingbird feeders for his birthday this year.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great submission for a photography contest. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reminded of Seals & Croft's "Hummingbird don't fly away" song from the 70's...guess that's why they USED the metaphor for the song...little buggars DO fly away and quickly!

    "Beautious" photo...

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete