Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Irish Songwriter Imagines MS as His "Lodger"

Please check out this info about a song by someone with MS for people with MS on the NMSS web site at http://www.nationalmssociety.org/online-community/personal-stories/mark-gilligan/index.aspx The title of the song is "The Lodger Inside of Me."

In the article below, I like what Mark Gilligan says about not going over your borders - it's toward the bottom so please read the whole article.

I've listened to the song, and it surprised me because it is very twangy, not something I'd expect from a band from Amsterdam. But you will appreciate the words! Some of my favorites:

"I'm slowing down, hanging around with this lodger inside of me." "Some days are good, some days are bad, and some days don't happen at all!" "But a good day is a good day, no matter what, with that lodger inside of me."

I've copied the article here without permission, but on the other hand they didn't tell me I couldn't, either!

The Amsterdam-based band the John O’Gods stopped by the National MS Society’s office in Denver during a U.S. tour in May 2008 and played us a few tunes. After “The Lodger Inside of Me,” a new number by Irish-born frontman Mark Gilligan, one of our colleagues, who lives with MS, came up to say hi.

“I don’t know if you saw me in the back crying, but it’s so cool to meet people who get it,” she said.

“Next time come up to the front and laugh with us,” Mark replied.

Mark hopes “The Lodger Inside of Me” will become a sort of global anthem. The lyrics never use the words “multiple sclerosis,” but lots of people will recognize its description of the disease as something with a personality of its own. Like a tenant you wish would go away, you can fight with it all you want, but ultimately the two of you have to live together.

Click here to download “The Lodger Inside of Me” featuring Linda Storey on vocals and Michael Olson on bass, recorded in Denver on May 21, 2008. Linda and Michael also live with MS, and Mark believes this was the first recording session ever where 100% of the performers had MS.

Mark was diagnosed in 2003 and lost much of the use of his legs. The prospect of having to use a wheelchair someday didn’t scare him, but the possibility of not being able to walk hand-in-hand with his five-year-old was terrifying. So he went on a
disease-modifying drug and reports it’s been like “a wonder drug,” allowing him to run for the first time in five years.

“Accepting the sickness is a hard struggle but once you achieve that, I feel you can live in perfect harmony with MS,” Mark said.

“The trick is to listen to your body, don't go over your borders. To me life is like a game of poker. Unfortunately I got a bad deal, but I'm still playing and bluffing my way through it all.”

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I love it that they did this in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recopy of the article, Joan! I'll have to try and get the song downloaded to listen...thanks for letting us know about it.

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joan---

    I'm not too technologically savvy, but I was able to download this song. Listening to it now, and it's pretty mellow and makes me want to swig a Killian's brewsky..Haha!...Good post.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since you guys met me but just wanted to add that me & my Lodger are still running around with my now 9 yr old daughter!!!

    keep the faith folks

    xx MArk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark, glad that you stopped by with an update, what a pleasant surprise! Joan

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.