Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Remembering Laughter

It wasn't really a dream. I was in bed, not quite asleep, definitely not awake. I was re-living a church service that I helped with, but it didn't go perfectly. I was in bed recounting the problems one by one, figuring out what could have been done differently. This is a good exercise in process improvement, necessary to provide meaningful worship experiences. But not at 5:30 in the morning!

After lying around for a while, I got out of bed and went swimming. Woah! This early in the morning, I found myself traveling during rush hour. Yuk! I remember rush hours, and the horror of trying to drive to work. It made me appreciate my current life.

When I got back home and finished my morning routine, I went outside to put a letter in the mailbox for pickup and saw lots of weeds that need to be conquered. I sighed and said, "Not today, I’m on vacation!" But they will be there tomorrow. That made me sad.

While sitting outside listening to NPR podcasts and eating lunch, I was suddenly struck with the memory of a Laughter Workshop I once attended. I realized that I have forgotten how to laugh. That's what I need to do again - set time aside to perform the laughter exercises that I learned in that workshop. Even though I don't feel like laughing, just start doing it. Force it. At first it is fake and miserable, but then I start to really laugh at how silly I sound. It is contagious. That's what I need to do - just laugh (LOUD and OUT LOUD) about those things that went wrong at church, and the weeds in the garden. It is good exercise, both physically and mentally.

So remember to LAUGH!


3 comments:

  1. I live to laugh...my favorite laughs are the ones where I am bent over or rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes unable to breathe. Some might think this ridiculous, but I know better...it is ridiculously funny!

    Laugh on, my friend...

    Linda D. in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. You absolutely must laugh. Try a comedy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes its those laughs which Linda is talking about that completely catch me off-guard. There's something which just snaps and its impossible to stop.

    Tears down the face, face red and scrunched, breathing in gasps terribly far apart. What a release.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.