Monday, January 12, 2009

Join Mandy's Round Table Discussion on Health Care

For those of you who hung out at my chat room last Friday, you know that the one resolution I think everyone with MS should make is Resolve to stay informed and VOCAL about health care in America. Mandy's recent post at Multiple Sclerosis Central.com is titled "Round Table Discussion on Health Care Reform - Join Us!" Be sure to review her article - this is important.

This is my issue:

When I was approved for social security disability, I was told that I had to wait 24 months for Medicare. Two years! Having been previously employed, I was eligible to retain medical benefits under COBRA. When they sent me the price list for my monthly premiums, I was stunned at how high the cost would be. IF I had been a breadwinner for a family, my COBRA costs would have been 60% of my social security disability benefit. Considering that my SSDI is significantly lower than my working salary, that is unacceptable. I am fortunate enough to have married before my disability so am able to use my husband's medical, and am fortunate enough (??) to have no children, so I am not bankrupt. But I am one of the lucky ones.

Yes, I have posted this for Pres-elect Obama at Change.gov. It doesn't feel like much, but it makes me feel a little better.

Home

1 comment:

  1. We affect/effect our corner of the world as we can and as we see fit. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete