Saturday, March 7, 2009

And I Thought I Was Pale...

Today I spotted a strange pale bird and yelled for The Husband to get his camera. Photo credits go to him.




I'm pretty sure that this is a female redwing blackbird (I hope that professional birders can confirm). She should look just like her sisters (see crowd photo below), but instead looks like she has a normal head, but a mottled, white body. I've reported this to Cornell University's Project Feeder Watch, also.

This is known as "leucism." She's gonna have a tough time finding a mate. In the bird world, blondes do not have more fun. But she is welcome at our feeder. It'll be interesting to watch her over time.

Home

5 comments:

  1. Hi Joan,

    What beautiful birds must show Richie who is a keen bird watcher.
    Have a good Sunday.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love watching birds. Just moved and still figuring out what they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, if this bird is indeed leucistic, it is all the more beautiful for it. May this differently-plumaged creature continue to find a safe haven in your back yard.

    Liz C

    PS Kudos to Tedd for his beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan,

    It has not been for lack of want to get here and catch up on your life...and I appreciate you sending warm thoughts my way as well.

    Your writing about the retention pond out your window reminded me of poet Mary Oliver...you have a gift in writing as well. Sorry to also read you've been having the MS Tango in your life right now...does it ever end?

    I know, I know...

    ReplyDelete