Tuesday, April 14, 2009

But Not Today

Today was a good day. It didn't start out that way. Alarm goes off - grump - hit snooze - alarm goes off again - grump - hit snooze harder. It's raining. Grumble. Straight into the shower. Ahhhhhh. Feels nice. Blow dry my hair. Ooooohhh! Looks nice! Throw on a sweatshirt. Looks like crap.

After days of pondering, I sign and fax permission to publish one of my essays in an anthology (thanks, Sonia). Angst! I don't like the piece, it's not my best. Oh hell, my hair looks great so I just push send.

One piece of toast, brush my teeth again. Off to dentist. Routine cleaning. Oops, what's that sensation? A cap is loose, we can fix it now. But I have a lunch date. No problem. Hmmm, won't come off easily, need to come back. Have a filling that needs repair so we'll do them together next week.

Home. Decide to change my clothes for lunch. I don't go out much, and here's a chance to wear a nice outfit. Turtleneck because it's chilly and rainy. Hey, whatever happened to that green over-shirt that I bought at the Fair Trade store downtown? Found it. Nice. Different.

Ladies' Lunch Bunch once a month. Don't feel the need to use a handicapped parking spot today. Drizzling and very windy. Walk around to the front. Mmmmm, smells good in here. There are my friends! Good to see you. Ooooh, Chris brought her new baby. Hi Pam! Missed you last month. Lots of catching up, laughing, and good food. Someone offers Fair Trade white chocolate with strawberries and it is delicious!

Hey, across the street is that Fair Trade store owned my friend. I'm not busy. Jingle goes the bell over the door. Nice music. Oh, so many new items. Beautiful colors. I buy myself a bar of white chocolate with strawberries from Ghana, an apron from Indonesia (with pockets), and a sage green tea pot with four cups from Vietnam. Giggle with a few other Ladies from lunch who popped in, too.

Didn't go straight home. Picked up a light fixture from a specialty store. Bought a few bottles of wine. Checked out a new grocery store. Finally home. Put the tea pot in the china closet (see picture). Beautiful! The Husband puts up the new light fixture. Bright! He makes scrambled eggs for dinner. Yum! Finished watching Jeopardy! and I'm still going strong. I'm even blogging again.

On any other day, the dentist visit would wear me out completely. On any other day, the Ladies' Lunch Bunch would wear me out completely. On any other day, running errands would wear me out completely. On any other day, the rain would have me leaning heavily on my cane. On any other day, I'm just waiting.

But not today. Today reminds me of what life used to be like. Nice!

PS

From Wikipedia: "Fair trade is an organized social movement and market-based approach that aims to help producers in developing countries and promote sustainability. The movement advocates the payment of a "fair price" as well as social and environmental standards in areas related to the production of a wide variety of goods. It focuses in particular on exports from developing countries to developed countries, most notably handicrafts, coffee, cocoa, sugar, tea, bananas, honey, cotton, wine, fresh fruit, chocolate and flowers."

Home

9 comments:

  1. That's an amazingly full day. Wow!!!

    I too love the teapot and cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah we never take those days for granted, do we? What a pleasure. Nice tea set...it's the little things that bring so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a full day, Joan. I'm actually excited for you for your upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock. What a great day. I love Fair Trade goodies. Makes you feel good and helps the world at the same time.

    Hugs,
    Weebs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds like a fully enjoyable and fun day Joan! Glad you we're able to do it like you used to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the publishing! And just so as not to jinx the moment, cheers to less "lean" on the cane...**wink, wink**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joan,

    What a great day you had, having read about it I really want some of that white choclate too.

    Like the teeset its very pretty.

    Congratulations on your piece being published.

    Love,

    Herrad
    ps reminded me too of what life used to be like.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.