Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Medical Marathon Finally Finished

CAUTION: This post contains TMI. As Jen says, TS. LOL!

I want to share this story in case other people experience or have experienced something similar. I've never heard of a fatigue exacerbation, but I may have had one.

Background: My fatigue became so bad in June that I just wanted to die. I wasn't suicidal (takes too much energy), but I was hoping and praying that I would just die. Just not wake up. I couldn't stand the thought of living out my life in such a miserable state.

I cancelled a cancer-screening colonoscopy (the one you get as a prize for turning 50) because I hoped that I did have cancer and would not treat it then could die. That's when something woke up in me, and I asked my husband to get me to a doctor to get this depression under control and to see if there was a non-MS reason for my fatigue.

He went with me to see my primary care physician (PCP), and I'm now on depression medication which made me more tired at first, but I didn't mind so much. I think I'll be on this med for a long time because I'm enjoying birdwatching again. And I don't want to die anymore. Success there.

To make a long story short: In the last three months, I saw three doctors; had numerous and extensive blood tests and urine cultures; had four ultrasounds, one mammogram, one colonoscopy; and underwent a thyroid-nodule biopsy. All the lumps, cysts, and nodules are benign. I'm now on prescription-strength Vitamin D and a thyroid pill to suppress the growth of the thyroid nodule (no, the thyroid was NOT the cause of the fatigue), as well as the anti-depressant.
I have to conclude that the almost three-month severe fatigue episode was caused by the MS after all.

I want to thank everyone who's been keeping an eye on me and keeping my spirits up these last two months. I couldn't have gotten through this hell without you. If you see someone who is in crisis, don't hesitate to check on them. It will be appreciated.

Home

3 comments:

  1. Joan, Thanks for being so up front about all this. I continue to wish you well and think of you often. I'm fascinated with your bird watching hobby and enjoy your FB posts about the same.
    I'm finding "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" a bit slow but hope to get into it soon. e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, That anonymous is I, Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan,
    You do us all a great service by talking about the topic. Depression feeds fatigue and fatigue feeds depression. In the end, it doesn't matter where it comes from; what matters is that we recognize the crap that goes on with our bodies.
    Thank you.
    S.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.