Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SCAT!

I received my ID card for the Delaware SCAT program, which will allow me to use a taxi at a reduced rate. This is part of my plan to reduce my driving to 1) conserve energy and 2) adjust to increasing right leg weakness.

Of course, SCAT stands for Senior Citizens Affordable Taxi. I guess I'm a senior citizen??!! But actually, it is open to people with disabilities who have difficulty driving. It's easy to sign up for, just go to the DART First State SCAT page to sign up. You will need a doctor's note if you are applying as a person with a disability.

Two ironic components of this decision: My doctor charged $25 to complete the reduced-price application (which was check a box and sign the form); I better get my money's worth from this program! Then once approved, I had to drive downtown to get my ID card before I can use the SCAT taxi. Ah well, it's a long-term solution.

Home

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to check and see if California has something similar. I can't drive because of MS symptoms and take lots of cabs plus some buses. It'd be nice to cut some of the cost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate this growing trend by doctors to fill out a form! I know time is money for them but still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find something like this in NH but for people who are not Senior Citizens like me, who just have driving (not to mention walking once we get where we are going).

    love the irony in your doctor charging you $25!

    ReplyDelete