Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Solstice Afterglow


I use the word "hangover" when all of my energy is depleted. I referenced it in November when I had a really bad day. But today's hangover is one that I'm happy about, so I'm calling it an "afterglow." The physical results are the same, but my mental state is glorious.

I coordinated my church's Winter Solstice celebration last night, and am still relishing the magical feeling of that event. There were so many people who volunteered their time, energy, labor, and creativity to put together an event to honor the longest night of the year. We took time out from the holiday craziness just to meditate, reflect, honor the ancients, sing, walk the labyrinth, and then laugh with wassail and treats.
All went well in spite of some Grinch stealing the middle part of our labyrinth; some amazing elves filled in the missing section with paper.

The winter solstice celebration is ancient.

It is older than the birth of Santa.

Older than the birth of the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) and Jesus of Nazareth.
It's older than the enlightenment of Buddah.

Older than the miracle of the oil that lasted eight days used to rededicate the Jewish temple after the Maccabean revolt.

Older than the Roman festival of Saturnalia.

And even older than the story of the Greek goddess Persephone being wisked away by Hades to the underground where she ate the pomegranate seeds and was compelled to stay underground for six months. Her mother Demeter grieved so deeply that the earth grew cold and the plants died.

Now the sun is growing stronger. I hope to do the same.

Blessed Be. Namaste. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.