Monday, January 11, 2010

I Think It's Circular Thinking I'm Thinking, I Think


Okay, so follow this - IF YOU DARE.

I have disabling fatigue.

I can't tolerate the fatigue drugs so I drink caffeine (lots of coffee) to combat the fatigue.

Caffeine inhibits the body's ability to absorb iron from food.

I have low levels of iron and have been unable to increase levels through food, so take iron supplements.

Iron supplements cause constipation so I have increased my intake of fiber.

Increased fiber reduces the effectiveness of my thyroid medication which is needed to regulate my body's ability to do everything.

So if I take thyroid meds, I can't increase fiber which means I can't tolerate iron supplements which means I get more anemic which increases fatigue so I drink more coffee and absorb less iron and take more iron supplements and take more fiber and take more thyroid meds and get more fatigued so drink more coffee...

5 comments:

  1. Well since I live with thyroid medication and several medications that have unsavory side affects...I feel for you. So what are you going to do to break this circle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn good question, Paula! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but I had to laugh! It really is a vicious cycle, isn't it?

    I recently started a new med to help with some of my m.s. pain. The one main side effect is an increased appetite and constipation. This combo is a nightmare in the making!

    Hang in there ... and I really do enjoy your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fatigue is also my enemy so I hit the caffeine hard. My boyfriend pointed out though that I grew to need it to just hit normal. He suggested a hiatus or a cut back. It actually worked. At first it was very hard but now I am keeping the level down and getting more bang for my buck. Could you schedule a few sleepy days and give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds about right, a vicious cycle. My problem is caffeine doesn't help me, just makes me shake. I don't want to play anymore.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete