Monday, April 19, 2010

And Now, the Rest of the Story

Now that the MS Walk in Wilmington, Delaware, is over, I've had a chance to reflect back upon that day.  Unfortunately, I can't remember much about it.  It was, after all, two days ago. 

Although physically I was able to walk about 1.5 miles with minor foot drop and leg spasms, the invisible symptoms were raging.  People might have noticed my right foot dragging, or my slight limping, or me leaning heavily on the rollator. 

But I suspect no one noticed the brain fog swirling around me putting me in a puddle of confusion.  I was unable to remember anyone's names, except for Tedd's, and could not introduce my teammates to each other without a lot of brain energy expenditures. 

When I was walking, I was unable to carry on a conversation.  When I was fighting the wind and trying to hold onto my hat, I couldn't walk or talk.  Tedd showed me a map suggesting a short cut, and all I could do was stare at the map wondering what it was.  I just told Tedd that I would follow him.  He understood.  I hope.

On the way out, I met Chris Coons, our County Executive and Senate hopeful.  I have met him before and have found him to be very approachable and interesting.  I was trying to have an adult conversation when my brain synapses fried and I could no longer complete full sentences or select particular words.  Darn! I hate it when that happens with someone who does not know my MS history.  All I can hope is that he figured it out since I was clinging to a rollator at an MS walk. 

I apologize to anyone I saw that day who might have felt slighted that I could not remember your names or remember how I know you.  But I suspect that you've all forgiven me.  If not, I won't remember anyway.

I found a good blog post about "socially disabled" people such as myself.  Check it out at
http://ms.about.com/b/2010/04/13/are-people-with-ms-socially-disabled.htm

Home

IMAGE from Brain Flames



1 comment:

  1. Hello Joan,

    Please could you go and visit The Wheel of Fortuna and leave a supportive message for Steve.

    His partner BobRobert is in the local hospice and is not expected to live much longer.

    It is not so long since his diagnosis which makes it all even more sad.

    Thanks for your support.

    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete