Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Biscuit Week

Wow, the MS fatigue is really bad right now, and I’m blaming last week.

What would seem like a busy week for anybody was a significantly challenging week for me. On Monday, I had a medical appointment. On Tuesday, I spent a few hours with an architect reviewing plans for a sunroom. On Wednesday, another medical appointment. On Thursday, a discussion group in the evening. On Friday morning, a two-hour home repair for women class. On Saturday, a two-hour study hall.

For most people, this may seem like just a full week. But for me, this was a week from hell. 

Each of these events individually should not require a lot of time or energy. But for me, each of these events required a significant amount of energy, and my schedule did not allow for recharging time in between the events.  Yes, I need at least a full day to recharge from most events.

I broke my own rules for energy management. And now I'm paying.  So, what about the biscuits?

On Saturday, I discovered that there was no food in the refrigerator. No edible food that is. I had absolutely no energy to go out; I had no energy to figure out whom to call for help. The Husband was visiting family and would not be home that day.

As I sat in a chair feeling sorry for myself, I was reminded of a time when I had just moved into an apartment in Germany, had no money because my per diem had not yet arrived, and was without food. The previous tenants left behind a box of Bisquick. I discovered that I could make biscuits with Bisquick and water. I lived off of biscuits for two weeks. 


So I summoned up a little energy to make a batch of drop biscuits for lunch and dinner.  Although not a healthy diet, those biscuits got me through the day. With all the discussion about a healthy diet for people with multiple sclerosis, there are times when I’m just trying to get food in my stomach.

Now I have groceries to get me through the week; but, this "biscuit week" made me realize that menu planning needs to be a higher priority. And I have to do a better job of selecting activities to honor my energy limitations.  

In the meantime, thank you, Bisquick.


#multiple sclerosis fatigue

5 comments:

  1. In your research, have you found out whether the plaque in the brain shows up as soon as the symptoms show, or does it take time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jami, I'm not the best person to ask because I am not a medical professional; however, I have been told that the incidence of lesions/plaques does not correlate to disability. In other words, you can have lesions with no symptoms, and symptoms with no new lesions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not user friendly, but trying again. Sonia

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.