Monday, April 27, 2015

I Can Do This!

The last few months have really challenged my energy management. Between MS walk fundraisers, MS walks, speaking engagements, conducting a workshop, yada yada yada, I lost my routine for rest, exercise, meditation, and proper nutrition.  The tank has been empty for a few weeks. When I get this exhausted, I go on auto-pilot where I can push through the fatigue but not remember anything that I did. Then my body gets back at me with a rerun of all the MS symptoms I've ever experienced all at once. And just for fun, it drops a boulder on me just to show me who's really running this show.

I call that a "physical reaction" to stress. I'm not complaining, really. But when I need to push through because I have committed to something, I look for a theme song.

My current theme song is "I Can Do This." It was written by David Osmond, son of Alan Osmond, nephew of Donnie and Marie.  Both David and his father, Alan, have MS.  David is currently working with Novartis (the national sponsor for this years MS Walks and maker of Gilenya) on a program called "Our Voice in Song" to raise awareness of relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis. Check it out at http://www.ourvoiceinsong.com/info/david-osmond-ms-song.jsp   

The words to I Can Do This resonate with me, especially the refrain, and has kept me going:

I can do this - Just stick around, you'll see
Going through this - takes every part of me
What I'm feeling down inside's like a roller-coaster ride
But it's true, yes - I can, I can

I can do this - I want the world to see
I can do this - Look what I have done with me
I'll keep my hands up high on this roller-coaster ride
Cause it's true, yes - I can do this

I can do this. Just take it one moment at a time. I can do this. Until the roller coaster ride comes to a stop, I can hang on.

Home
#MultipleSclerosis


1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I think what you're doing on this blog is amazing. I wanted to reach out because I'm part of a group of students at Harvard Business School who are launching a medical accessories company. Our aim is to infuse dignity into the patient experience by designing medical products that are both functional AND design-focused for patients with chronic illnesses or disabilities. To that effect, we've published an opinion piece on OpEd space here: http://opedspace.com/2015/04/23/how-companies-are-giving-patients-back-their-dignity/.

    You can see our website at www.blackpebblemedical.com for an introduction to our first product, a bag for carrying self-catheterization supplies. We believe this bag can help many self-catheterizing MS patients better carry their cath supplies in a safe, easy, and discreet way.

    We are so inspired by your blog and your work, and would be honored with an opportunity to connect with you and get your advice on how to spread the word about our product and mission. Please let me know if you would be willing to chat. I'm reachable at ablankmeyer@mba2016.hbs.edu.

    Thank you!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete