Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hotel Art Tourist

Most people don't notice the artwork on hotel walls.  I do. 
  
I used to enjoy traveling, but now find it to be physically and mentally challenging, which means that just getting to a hotel room is all the excitement I can take.  

I recently went to the Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel for the MS Bloggers Forum, sponsored by Novartis (they provided airfare, travel, hotel, and meals).  While there, a number of participants explored Chicago, wandered along the river, visited the Navy Pier and the Millennium Park.  

I, on the other hand, was just too spent from the travel and conference, so chose to limit my explorations to the hotel lobbies. And what a thrill!  The hotel completed a major renovation by the Gettys Group in May that included art capturing the magic of a big city: "...small pieces coalesce to create a picture."  It was the hidden elements that provided moments of giddy delight for me.

Take, for example, the picture of the huge taxi behind the registration area:
It's pretty obvious, right?

But the excitement comes when you get up close and see that...


... the taxi picture was made from pencils!
I spent a lot of time considering a 3-D piece on the second floor lobby.  Take a look and see if you can read the message (I had to ask the hotel staff):


The answer is:
"THE WINDY CITY SWEET HOME CHICAGO"

So even though I couldn't visit the normal tourist spots in Chicago during my brief visit, I was treated to an amazing art exhibit that gave me the flavor of the city, and an exhibit that I suspect many people just don't notice.

PS - I did get Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza. Yum!

Home

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures Joan!! And good for you for noticing. I hate to admit it but I only glanced at the taxi art. It wasn't until you or someone else mentioned that it was done completely with pencils that I paid attention. And then I couldn't stop looking!

    ReplyDelete